Monday, March 21, 2011

SXSW

This past weekend I hit Hwy 35 southbound to experience my first music festival, SXSW. Unlike ACL or Cochella, SXSW spans a few weeks and incorporates music, film and Internet. One person told me that basically its a giant tradeshow for the industries. Well, that was the most fun I've ever had at a tradeshow! I arrived Friday and met up with my cousin. She dropped me at the Four Seasons so I could meet Lawyer Guy for drinks (we met last weekend when he was in Dallas for St Pattys Day) then she picked me up later so we could head to Mellow Mushroom to see Helen Earth Band. They're from Encinitas; two of the members, Matt & Trevor, have been friends of mine for years. I told Matt before they went on that I hadn't seen him play since highschool when he was with Three Times Lucky! The guys had a great set, people were singing along with my personal favorite of their songs, (We All) Talk With Knives.



Then Saturday I met up with some college friends and went to see Kingsley at the Chuggin' Monkey on 6th street. (For you Bachelor fans, the Chuggin' Monkey is owned by Brad Womack. Thankfully, he wasn't there). Kingsley is one of my new favorite bands, their set was great! They're based in LA so I'm hoping I'll get to see more of them when I make the move out West. They did an awesome cover of "Zombie" by The Cranberries and also played some of their newer stuff, The Game is my favorite.



Saturday night we got into the Red Bull party, thanks MMM, where they had different DJs, including DJ Jazzy Jeff!! (Yes, from The Fresh Prince of Bel Air...).
Overall, my first experience with a music festival was a success. It was a really fun group, the weather was great, definitely a great first "spring" weekend. I'm so sick of being pale!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment