Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Lenten Season

My boss asked me yesterday what I was doing to observe Ash Wednesday...I had to tell her "uh, nothing...". I haven't been great about getting involved in a church or small group post-college. Part of the reason is that I'm so attached to my church family back home that I've had a hard time going anywhere else. I grew up in my church, I know practically everyone, and its small size always made me feel very comfortable. Like so many other things here in Texas, bigger is better when it comes to church and I always got a little intimidated trying to sit in these cathedrals with hundreds of other people. Excuses, excuses.

Anyway, I do still try to stay connected and (relatively) observant, so I took some time to think about what I was going to give up for Lent. Of course, the first thing that popped into my head was some sort of food; but honestly, other than my morning latte, I don't really have any food habits that would be a great "sacrifice" or challenge to give up.

In the midst of a very busy time at work and preparing for some major life changes, I've decided to try to "give up" two of my worst habits: procrastinating and sweating the small stuff. Both of those things will only contribute more stress to an already stressful time, so I'm really going to make an effort not to allow them to keep me from completing the tasks I need to, both at work and at home.

At work, it's the Internet. It's so easy to slide on over to MSN and check out what's going on in the world or click on a friend's blog, then a blog she has on her site and then....so, in fairness to myself and my co-workers, I'm really going to make a conscious effort to keep my browsing (and my blogging...) to my lunch hour.

At home, it's the TV. BestMomEver will be the first to tell you that, given the opportunity, I'd spend an entire day watching Law & Order from the couch. At night, I've started to do the same thing. I get home at 6:30, have some dinner, put on the TV and boom! All of a sudden it's 9:30 and my plans to starting making boxes or clean the kitchen are out the window. As my move date gets closer and closer, I really don't have hours to spend watching The Real Housewives of Miami (as crazy and entertaining as they are!)

So blog world, for the next 40 days, it's "do it now, not later" and "take a deep breath, is this really the end of the world?".

God willing, maybe I'll be a better person on the other side!

No comments:

Post a Comment